Sunday 12 May 2013

Like Mother, Like Daughter


Okay, okay, I know I told you all that I would write again while I was in Lisbon, Portugal.. I apologize.. So here we go!

Lisbon, Portugal. The last city of our Western European tour. We were lucky enough to have nearly 10 days off while in Lisbon, before performing only 4 shows. Two of my girlfriends, Christiana and Sam, and I, decided to go to the south of Portugal; Lagos. Lagos is surrounded by beautiful beaches and stunning rock formations. We took a boat tour through these formations, and cave-like coves. The water was turquoise and the atmosphere was paradise. Unfortunately, the weather was not cooperating. Although it was cloudy and rainy, we still had a great time walking through the narrow streets of Old Lagos and taking in the last bit of European culture we could get. 

Earlier this year, I put in a request with the company for “breakwork”. When a show is on “break”, those skaters can go help out on a different show that is still performing. I was fortunate enough to be asked to help out on another show for the month of April till the middle of May. I am currently here right now, in the States, for one more week. I am having a lot of fun on this show, “Worlds of Fantasy”. Learning new choreography, meeting new people, and facing new challenges. Last week, I was in Atlanta, Georgia. One of my best friends, Jennifer, from home who I skated with for years is currently studying at Life University, just outside of Atlanta. She was able to come to a couple of the shows and take some amazing photos. It was so nice to catch up with her! 

After Portugal, I was flown home for one day, and then flown out to Hershey, PA. I was grateful to be able to empty out my suitcases, see my family, and have a couple of home-cooked meals :). It was very refreshing. 

I cannot wait to get home for a few weeks this time!.. That’s right, only for 3 and a half weeks to be exact. Then I’m off to South Africa!!! I will be going to Johannesburg for two weeks, and to Capetown for one week, traveling and performing with the show I was with in Europe, “Passport to Adventure”!

Like Mother, like Daughter. I chose this title, because as you all should know, it is Mother’s Day today. As I continue my journey with Disney on Ice, I am constantly reminded of my family. I guess that’s where the home-sickness comes from every now and then. However, it is my Mother that comes up the most. As most of your know, my mom, Chris, works for Air Canada, and has been flying around the world since she was 20 years old. The same age as I was when I joined Disney. On my second year with Disney, she became one of my best friends. It is amazing how distance can bring you even closer to someone. When I was going through some rough times, I knew I could call her, and tell her anything, and she would always know exactly what to say. She could be a friend and a Mom at the same time. She was able to get me through most days in fact.

This past year, I found myself taking the same photos of tourists attractions as my mom did 20 years ago. And now, at the age of 22, the next destination on my agenda, South Africa, where my mom was when she was 22. Soon, we will be able to compare our safari trips together! :) I find myself following in my mother’s footsteps.. and I couldn’t be happier. Although we are doing it in very different ways, traveling the world is in our blood. And I wouldn’t have this opportunity without her. So, thank you Mom. Thank you for everything you have done to get me to where I am today. I would not be the young lady I am now if it weren’t for you. Thank you for being you; a friend, an encourager, a teacher, a support, and, a mother. I love you with all my heart!

Happy Mother’s Day XOX

Lagos, Portugal


Sam, Christiana and I on our boat tour.




The "Fairy Queen" on Worlds of Fantasy :)


Happy Mother's Day Mom :)



No comments:

Post a Comment