Wednesday 27 February 2013

¡Hola!


Okay, so now I am currently in Valencia, Spain. But let's back track a little.

Belgium. The land of chocolates and waffles. Thank goodness there was a gym next door to our hotel! We started off in the city of Antwerp. We didn't start shows until Friday that week, so I made sure to take advantage of those nearly 4 days off. On the Tuesday, we decided to head to Brugge, a small, beautiful town about an hour away by train. Most of you might know the city from the film "In Brugge". I enjoyed it very much. There is a small canal which runs through the entire town. We decided to rent bikes and I am so happy we did. We were able to bike around the entire city in only a couple hours, something that would have taken all day on foot.

Since Brugge was such a success on bikes, why not do it again, in Amsterdam! The next day, we took a 3 hour train to Amsterdam. I can now check it off my list of big cities to see! We rented bikes for the day and once again, saw all the major sites and tourist attractions. These included Ann Frank's home and museum, the Heineken factory, and the Red-Light district. That was interesting. For those of you who do not know what the red-light district is, it consists of prostitutes standing in windows on 'display'. The district is full of R-rated shops, as well as live sex shows! Needless to say, it was an experience!

Next stop, Brussels! Brussels is a lovely city. Our family friends, Hilde, Harry, Charlotte and Alexander live in and around this city. They used to live on our street in Bolton before moving back to Belgium. I think I was about 7 years old the last time I saw them! I went to see Hilde and Harry's home during one of our days off. It was so nice to be in a home again, and to sit at a kitchen table for a meal. I've gotten so used to eating in bed! Hilde took my friend and I to Ypres, home to Flander's Fields. The town was very small and cute. We visted the War Museum and even drove to a near by cemetary to see the crosses, "In Flander's fields the poppies blow, between the crosses, row on row". It was very neat to see.

The whole family, including some of their friends came to see the show in Brussels. I was able to go in as 'Wendy' for them too! It was a lot of fun, and is always nice to have someone you know watch the show. They had front row seats and enjoyed themselves very much! It was so great to have that little bit of 'home' again. :)

From Brussels, we flew to Valencia, Spain. We have been here for just over a week now. Valencia is home to the famous Place de Toros.. Bull fighting arena. We were able to go inside because it is the off season right now. Really neat to see. It is a great city to simply walk around in. Many cathedrals, old clock towers, an Olympic park, modern museums, and of course, great shopping. On the other end of the city, you can find yourself soaking up the sun on the beach. And beside the beach, you will find the Spanish Formula One race track. The food has also been very good. Tapas, Paella (Spain rice dish which originated in Valencia), and Sangrias! All great, and super cheap! Did I mention the weather has been 17 degrees and sunny?
Needless to say, I have enjoyed my days off in Spain thus far!

Next stop, Barcelona! After that, we have 3 more weeks in Spain, including Madrid which I am looking forward to. Then two weeks in Lisbon, Portugal, then home! We are on our final stretch, and I must say, it feels good.

Okay, so you are all caught up now! My final post will most likely be from Lisbon!

I stumbled upon this spanish saying and thought it was appropriate:

Ojos que no ven, corazón que no siente - "Whatever the eyes don't see, the heart doesn't feel."

All the best, as always :)
Erika Xox

Biking in Brugge




With Carlotta and Christiana!
Amsterdam, Netherlands






Heineken Factory

In Ypres with Hilde in front of Flanders Fields Museum

Cemetery in Ypres

Church in Brussels
We can Fly! :)





Valencia, Spain
Valencia Cathedral
Place de Toros - Bull fighting arena

No comments:

Post a Comment